mardi 15 novembre 2011

Encouraging ESL Students to Read

Encouraging ESL Students to Read
Roger W. Gee
Response Journal: Strategy One

This article presents ways to encourage ESL students to read. Gee mentions the importance of three factors to consider when teaching: tasks, materials, and environment.
According to the author, when considering tasks it is important for teachers to encourage and develop students’ positive reading attitudes. Gee notes that there are six important guidelines to follow in order to accomplish this. For instance, allowing students to make personal choices allow students to read up on topics of interest. In addition, students must take control of their learning process by interacting with their classmates in order to construct meaning to what they are reading about. Finally, motivating tasks will eventually result in consequences which can be measured through evaluations. All in all, the author states that when children are given the opportunity to take responsibility of their own learning through open tasks, it usually results in positive results.
With regards to the material, the author mentions the importance of competence and choice. In sum, teachers must find a way to adapt the reading material to their class in order to gain more benefits. It’s important to challenge children to a certain extent, and provide them with a variety of reading activities in order to keep their interest. For instance, teachers may choose to modify certain texts in order to cater to their class.
Environment is a key factor to consider when teaching. This factor can affect the interactions between the children themselves, their emotions, as well as their attitudes towards literacy. According to the author, teachers must make their role clear by demonstrating their collaboration and acting as facilitators. Furthermore, Gee mentions that an environment that encourages risk-taking and active participation. In sum, the environment should be physically comfortable and promote positive learning attitudes.






Samantha Bilodeau
Encouraging ESL Students to Read
Roger W. Gee
Response Journal: Strategy Two

The article written by Gee is an interesting piece which brought me to reflect on my past teaching experience, as well as my past teachers. The author notes the importance of three factors to consider when teaching: tasks, materials, and environment.
First off, when the author develops the importance of allowing students to participate in open tasks, I instantly thought of my favourite teacher when I was in elementary school. My grade 1-3 teacher (mixed classes) would give us many opportunities to make our own decisions with regards to what we were going to read. I loved when I could read what I wanted because it was sure to interest me. If I look back and compare to other teachers who would impose novels on the students, the open task format seems to be much more appreciated by the students, and have the most positive results.
Secondly, when the author mentioned the importance of using a variety of materials, and modifying activities in order to cater to the appropriate needs of the students, I immediately thought of my past learning experience and how I use it in my teaching approach today. When I was young, I had trouble staying focused for long periods of time. I always needed things to be hands-on or interactive. This is why my mother would constantly come up with ways to turn my homework into games. I was one of those students who needed lots of variety in order to learn. This is the reason why I teach the way I teach today. I tend to lean more towards an interactive and play approach when teaching because I always remember how hard it was for me to stay focused for long periods of time when I was a child. So I always try my best to change things up, and turn what would normally be more theoretical activities, into fun games during which students don’t even notice that they are learning.
Lastly, the environment is definitely a crucial factor in teaching. When I was a young student, I loved when the classroom was colourful and spacious. I also really appreciated when teachers put posters on the wall containing key words. Today when I walk into classrooms to teach, I always notice how the classroom is set up and how this directly influences the students’ behaviour. I have noticed that students need a certain amount of personal space and they enjoy when the classroom is set up with teams. I have also noticed that when teachers have a reading corner, students really enjoy it. I have seen classrooms with little nooks, or pillows for students to use during their “High Five” time, and this really has a positive effect on them.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire