vendredi 28 octobre 2011

Response Process

I agree that students need to be motivated to really enjoy reading. It is important to continue to encourage better readers as well as weaker students to start and continue to read in their L2. However, I am concerned about the 6 strategies that the author gives us. Even though we give our students many choices, challenge, control etc. I think that weaker and less skilled students will not be interested in reading. In addition, what if a student does not want to read, and is excellent in reading comprehension as well as in reading in their L1? Another strategy is about designing projects. It is a very good strategy, but what if you see your group once a week? Finally I agree that many L1 readers would also read in English: they like to read, either in French or English.

The article talks about real life material, like catalogues and magazines which refer to authentic material that the MELS program is constantly talking about. I remember myself in high school. I was always unmotivated by the readings because they were in textbooks, without even bright colour and not authentic at all. I would have preferred to read in a magazine and write a summary or present something about it. It may have motivated me to read in my L2. However, the truth is that I was not very motivated to read in L1 either. I totally recognize myself in this article. However, I was not weak in English. The content and topics of the readings were not just appealing to me. I would always remember one of my elementary school teachers (long time ago!) who showed us the first version of Harry Potter. I don’t know why I remember that moment, but he did his job. Latter, when I heard about this book and its popularity I started to read it and bought other volumes in English to read it faster. Thank you Mister C!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire