vendredi 21 octobre 2011

Literature-Based Instruction: Response

Here is my response to the text on literature-based instruction in an ESL context.



Literature-Based ESL for Secondary School Students



In this article, the authors are clearly in favour of literature based-instruction in an ESL context. Throughout the text, they present arguments which support their assumption that this type of instruction is beneficial for ESL students’ acquisition of English.
First, they build background knowledge with a variety of quotes and viewpoints from researchers such as Vygotsky, Krashen and Piaget. The whole text explains why literature-based instruction is good, in what ways it is good and how to use it.
The conclusion itself presents all the pros of the method, and almost doesn’t give any limitations. The ones it gives are related to external factors such as the costs related to the purchase of the books. Even though I am convinced about the worth of this activity, I would have liked to read some limitations or at least discussions regarding the learners themselves. For example, how do students with different types of intelligence do with this method? Do they find it harder? What do you do with students who dislike reading books?
In other words, I’m sure the method is good, but I would have liked more information regarding different students’ reaction to it.


Strategy: describe the author’s point of view.


If I was to actually teach English in a secondary school (which I doubt I will), and if this school based its curriculum on literature, I think I would be somewhat hesitant at first. My biggest fear would be not to be able to motivate the students to read the book. I would be afraid that they might think the book is boring, or they might not want to read it because they would feel like they don’t understand it. Moreover, I know students read at a very different pace, so I guess that could be problematic too. Nevertheless, I am sure I would get used to it and even improve my own reading skills and gain a lot of knowledge from the books (especially in the case of historical fiction).
In primary school, I think most teachers already do it in a way. In the first cycle for example, teachers often spend the year alternating from songs to stories. Some programs such as AIM are even completely built around stories. They are not a “content-based instruction” method, but they are still based on literature and they certainly help the students acquire the language when used properly.


Strategy: prompt (if that happened in our school…).

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire